Monday, January 26, 2015

DYL | Support your body and mind.


Nourish. Loads of mouthwatering books have made their way into my kitchen over the past few months. A lack of energy and persistent digestive problems fueled my search for alternative diets*. I've welcomed many new foods into my life. Coconut oil, chia seeds and I even became BFFs. Never thought that I would be saying this but preparing food has become a big part of my daily life. Along with grocery shopping, unfortunately. If there's one thing that this culinary adventure taught me it's to be more aware of the food you consume, including its origin. If you want to see a gripping documentary about the foul conspiracy that is the food industry, I can recommend Food, Inc. for example. (Pssst it's on Netflix!) And once you're at it, another must-watch is The End of the Line, a film about one of the most pressing problems in the industry if not world, overfishing.

Although this new lifestyle takes up a lot of my time (and money), I'm really pleased with the effects it has on me and I won't be stopping any time soon. I'm slowly incorporating more and more good food into my diet. One meal at a time! To conclude this section in Bradshaw style: Why is it that we are willing to spend hundreds of euros and hours picking out nice clothes and pretty objects but we want the thing that makes or breaks our health to be as cheap and easy as possible? That's a whole lot of sentence, but definitely something to think about, n'est-ce pas?

Train. Of course, eating healthy goes hand in hand with exercising. Normally I would go running every now and then, but current weather conditions are feeding my procrastination immensely. Cold and dark streets aren't really motivation material. As an alternative, Tine (my sweet roommate - living the Friends life and shizzle) bought a fitness DVD by the hilarious Geordie Shore star, Charlotte. Together we're gonna get fit in no time! Always remember: sweat is just fat crying.

Not entirely convinced yet? This instagram post by Becky Lomas really hits the spot.

Declutter. There's nothing like a good old 'moving out of the house' to remind you of the enormous pile of shit you own. All my fellow hoarders, throw your hands up at me! I can't be the only one who's still trying to figure out where all 'the stuff' goes in those clean, white Pinterest apartments. In the meanwhile my mum and I are already throwing away half of our possessions, just in case there is no secret. It's really cool to have birthday cards from years ago but what do you do with them, really? Apart from the obvious reminiscing and then putting them back in another corner of your attic. #sentimental. It will be hard to say goodbye to my Disney video collection though, goodbye precious childhood.. But I know it's all for the best! Clutter distracts your mind. That reminds me, I should really tidy up my room. 

Cheers!
Naomi, x.

* as in: the kind of food that a person habitually eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment