Sunday, November 15, 2015

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.


Never thought this long before about what I wanted to write in a blog post. So much has already been said about the shockwave of terrorism in Paris. I'm not sure what I can add to this enormous movement of empathy, unless to encourage people to expand their empathy to the rest of our world. Yesterday I found a text on Instagram about the situation that really hit home, you can read it here

During my education as a biologist, I gained an enormous amount of respect for the planet we live on. It made me more aware of the corrupted foundation our society is built on, where most of this respect has faded away in favor of power and money. We, as a society, should take back control from these ugly 'monsters' and unite ourselves in love and mutual respect. We should all take a stand against everyone that believes in destruction and blind hatred. May it be destruction of other beliefs, other ethnicities, or even natural resources. Aren't we better than this by now?

One way I try to express my respect in everyday life is by carefully selecting the things I buy*. Every purchase has a background and over the years I've become more and more interested in this background. I've watched countless documentaries and read numerous articles. In my opinion, the best way to gain respect is by educating yourself on the matter. Recently, I vowed myself to start buying more ethically made clothing after watching 'The True Cost' documentary and I never felt better about a new pair of shoes ;-).

In the pictures I'm wearing a top I recently bought from People Tree, a brand that thrives on love and respect for people and nature. I'm more determined than ever to wear these values close to my heart. 

Let us cast a unified beam of light in these dark times. #prayforparis #prayfortheworld

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* I'm definitely not trying to come across as some sort of Mother Teresa here, because I'm far from perfect and sometimes you also need to pick your battles. I just want to make you aware that it doesn't always take grand actions or plans to make a difference in daily life. 

COS wool cardigan,
Levi's jeans,

No comments:

Post a Comment